Author Topic: The Dogs of War  (Read 6944 times)

Fred Patten

• FWG Members
    • View Profile
    • Fred Patten News
Re: The Dogs of War
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2016, 06:06:11 AM »
LemurKat, your deleted scene about the horror of war sounds like it would fit the theme wonderfully.  And the practice of publishing deleted scenes or expanding short stories in an anthology into a novel of your own is standard.  Bram Stoker published a deleted chapter from "Dracula" as a separate short story, "Dracula's Guest".  The oldest story in my first anthology, "Best in Show" from Sofawolf Press in 2003 was "Rat's Reputation" by Michael H. Payne from FurVersion #16, May 1989, which was the oldest story worth reprinting from within furry fandom that I could find.  (There were stories in earlier issues of FurVersion, but they're bad.)  Payne has recently rewritten "Rat's Reputation" into a novel published by Sofawolf, with that short story as part of it but heavily revised.  Watts Martin told me that the novelette "Tow" that he sent me for "The Furry Future" was an advance stand-alone prequel to a novel he's writing, for publication next year. 

So send me your deleted scene.  If it's chosen for publication, we can add a note in the Introduction or the About the Author that "this story is a deleted scene from LemurKat's forthcoming novel".
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 06:09:33 AM by Fred Patten »
Fred

Vance

• Future Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2016, 11:25:56 AM »
I was going to mention Dracula's Guest but Fred beat me to it!

Publishing an existed and deleted scene is also an excellent way to show who you are and what your style is all about to the world, it gets readers intrigued for more.

Arara

• FWG Members
    • View Profile
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2016, 11:42:46 AM »
So it won't work for this anthology, but I had to delete a scene I *loved* from my latest novel because it just didn't fit. I should rework it into a short story! Thanks!

Arian Mabe

• FWG Members
  • Keeping faith through the worst
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2016, 08:03:53 AM »
Would something about a cyber war be appropriate? I'm imagining a character being transmitted into a digital world for a mission where he/she is data and faces the psychological effects of this alongside having to complete the mission. I'm considering lots of inventive action for this that could not normally take place in a physical war where soldiers are in the field.

Would this be okay or would it be an automatic "no thank you"? Cheers!

Fred Patten

• FWG Members
    • View Profile
    • Fred Patten News
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2016, 07:55:28 PM »
It sounds intriguing.  Go ahead and try it.
Fred

Televassi

• FWG Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2016, 03:54:13 AM »
What sort of time period are you looking for? I'm considering something from the Dark Ages.

Fred Patten

• FWG Members
    • View Profile
    • Fred Patten News
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2016, 02:00:57 PM »
The Dark Ages are fine.  The Dogs of War will feature a potpourri of settings from the prehistoric past to the interstellar far future, as long as the characters are anthropomorphic.  Stories in which there is a reason for them to be anthropomorphic animals are preferred to stories in which the characters are just funny-animals, but there will be some of those also.
Fred

Vance

• Future Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2016, 09:55:45 PM »
I've started to roll with the "prey species are an experiment in the army".

it's hard because it could go the way of the main character just doesn't work out in basic training or a major world war and the main character gets injured and realizes it was because he was a prey species.

Dammyr

• Future Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2016, 01:12:18 PM »
Before I go diving too deep into something, and produce something I couldn't viably use for this anthology, would something like a revolution (thinking french revolution, or the American revolution) fit with the theme for this? Or more specifically, showing the beginning of a violent revolution?

Jaden Drackus

• FWG Members
  • Draconis Vulpes
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2016, 07:04:54 PM »
A chance to put my new military history BA to work!

I will see if the brain can come up with something. 
Nothing ever stays the same: last year's fail is this year's fame.
Uncertainty is always certain.

Fred Patten

• FWG Members
    • View Profile
    • Fred Patten News
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2016, 10:13:37 AM »
Yes, a violent revolution would be appropriate.  The American Civil War could be considered a violent revolution against the federal government.
Fred

Munchkin

• Token Munchkin Cat
  • FWG Members
  • Breather of life into the ShoutBox since 2014.
    • View Profile
    • GoodReads
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2016, 06:12:01 AM »
Hey Fred?  May I send you all the virtual hugs in the world for this call for submissions?  It's thus far inspired two friends of mine who have always been too intimidated by rejection to actually try their hands at it for the first time :3 Even if they get rejected, that first story always seems to be the most difficult, so thank you very much!
@MunchkinRambles
~*~
Now accepting submissions!
Civilized Beasts 2016
~*~
Fragments of Life's Heart
~*~
Where to find some of my work:
Civilized Beasts 2015 ~ ROAR 6 ~ Will of the Alpha 3

Fred Patten

• FWG Members
    • View Profile
    • Fred Patten News
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2016, 06:44:36 AM »
Surely!  Definitely send them my way.

Please emphasize that we want stories with original military scenarios with anthro animal characters, not just recognizable Middle Eastern or Vietnam or Civil War or World War I war fiction with funny-animal soldiers.  I remember a comic-book story with funny-animal soldiers in World War II uniforms that looked great, but had me wondering, "How do they get their bushy tails through those uniforms?  Is thick fur a problem with those uniforms?"
Fred

tholepin

• Future Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2016, 09:13:46 AM »
It's re-re-re-re-re-writing time down in the burrow.

Huskyteer

• FWG Members
  • Arctic Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2016, 09:58:52 AM »
original military scenarios

Yikes, this wasn't in the original brief. What about alt-history?

'asking for a friend' :)
Watch out where the huskies go: Bibliography | SoFurry | FurAffinity | Weasyl | Goodreads