Author Topic: The Dogs of War  (Read 5565 times)

Fred Patten

• FWG Members
    • View Profile
    • Fred Patten News
Re: The Dogs of War
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2016, 10:05:19 PM »
Alt-history is okay.  Just keep the setting from looking like an obvious real historical war story, set in the Korean War or current Syria or the U,S. Revolution, with funny animals instead of humans. 

The s-f author Poul Anderson was adept at taking really obscure incidents from history and using them for interstellar adventures.  One was from 8th-century Visigothic Spain, when the nobility got rid of an unpopular king by conspiring with his heir to have him declared legally dead, effectively exiling him while he was still kicking & screaming.  Readers who knew 8th-century Spanish history may have recognized it, but how many people was that?
Fred

Huskyteer

• FWG Members
  • Arctic Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2016, 04:39:05 AM »
Thanks for the clarification, Fred!
Watch out where the huskies go: Bibliography | SoFurry | FurAffinity | Weasyl | Goodreads

Zarpaulus

• FWG Members
    • View Profile
    • The Para-Imperium
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2016, 10:40:52 PM »
Just saw this one on Dogpatch Press.  I might be able to think of something.

My furry interstellar empire might have a few opportunities for plucky "young" dogs of war to make their fortunes.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 10:45:19 PM by Zarpaulus »

Fred Patten

• FWG Members
    • View Profile
    • Fred Patten News
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2016, 03:55:13 AM »
Today is September 1st.  There is one more month to contribute to The Dogs of War.  Send those stories in!
Fred

Jaden Drackus

• FWG Members
  • Writing Experimentalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2016, 08:28:24 AM »
*sound of frantic typing*

Okay, so not actually that frantic. But... must finish last scene.
Youíll give a penny for my thoughts. But this coinís not even real copper Well neither am I!
Iím just a pen filled with their ink And nowhere to hide!

Ocean

• FWG Members
  • Peace n Luv
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2016, 09:49:22 PM »
Today is September 1st.  There is one more month to contribute to The Dogs of War.  Send those stories in!

I'm already behind on other writing. I will have to save my ideas for the sequel should there be one.

Zarpaulus

• FWG Members
    • View Profile
    • The Para-Imperium
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2016, 01:20:05 PM »
I'm a bit busy editing my novella and writing for Thurston Howl's "Sins" Anthology.  I think I'll have to sit this one out too.

Had some decent ideas too.

gallenw

• Future Members
    • View Profile
    • Fursuit Photos & Music on FA
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2016, 12:43:16 AM »
Two more scenes to go. 6.1k at the moment. Hope to finish all in a week-ish, then edit and submit!

Fred Patten

• FWG Members
    • View Profile
    • Fred Patten News
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2016, 04:15:24 AM »
Just two weeks left until the deadline.  If you are working on a story and you think that you need a week or two after the deadline to finish it, notify me before the October 1st deadline.
Fred

Televassi

• FWG Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2016, 04:58:43 PM »
Submission is still underway, and should arrive before the deadline!

Utunu

• Future Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2016, 10:46:19 AM »
Hi Fred,
Would my 'Water' submission from Gods of Fur be appropriate enough for this theme so as to be worth submitting? It's two tribes at war, but not certain if it's close enough to what you were looking for thematically.
  -Utunu

Fred Patten

• FWG Members
    • View Profile
    • Fred Patten News
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2016, 09:41:31 AM »
Oops; I missed this post.  Sorry.

No, sorry.  "Water" is more of a personal-duel story, not a warfare story.  It could be considered as a confrontation between two factions within a tribe, but it's still not large-scale enough to qualify as warfare.
Fred

Fred Patten

• FWG Members
    • View Profile
    • Fred Patten News
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2016, 10:06:44 AM »
I might add that as of today, there is just one more week to submit stories for The Dogs of War.  At this point there are enough good submissions to fill the anthology (150,000+ words), so what we are looking for now is stories so good that they will squeeze out those that are only okay.

Either that, or FurPlanet Productions will increase the book's maximum word-count.

There have been both an increase in submissions in the last half-week (and some of them are excellent; many thanks), and in letters asking, "I have this idea; would it fit into your book?"  Frankly, if you haven't even started your story yet, you're not likely to have it finished by October 1st.  If you're working on it but it may take a week or two after October 1st to finish it, please let me know before the deadline.

The requested word length is 2,000 to 20,000 words.  We may accept 21,000 or 22,000 words, but for anything much longer than that, consider expanding it into a novel instead.  Submissions should include the writer's mailing address, to save us having to ask later where to send your payment and contributor's copy.  And please include your real name, unless your fursona name will be recognized by your mail carrier.
Fred

Fred Patten

• FWG Members
    • View Profile
    • Fred Patten News
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2016, 01:00:29 AM »
Oops again!  We did not say whether simultaneous submissions are accepted.

No.  If you have already submitted your story to someone else, or you want to, please do not send it to me. 
Fred

Fred Patten

• FWG Members
    • View Profile
    • Fred Patten News
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2016, 07:49:53 AM »
The Dogs of War is now closed to new submissions, except for those writers who have requested and received an extension of a few days.

FurPlanet's goal was 120,000 to 150,000 words, and over 240,000 words (not counting rejections) have been submitted.  It will take a few days to decide which stories make it into the anthology. 
Fred