Author Topic: The Dogs of War  (Read 6948 times)

Fred Patten

• FWG Members
    • View Profile
    • Fred Patten News
The Dogs of War
« on: May 24, 2016, 04:37:34 AM »
FurPlanet Productions is announcing its next original short story anthology:

The Dogs of War; an anthology of furry military-themed stories.
Deadline:  October 1st, 2016.

Wanted:  original short stories (no reprints) featuring furries in military situations, preferably of 4,000 to 20,000 words.  Lesser will be accepted.  Longer … let’s discuss it.

These can range from actual warfare to peacetime training-camp scenarios (which may be humorous) to recruiting; from large division operations to small commando actions.  They can range from funny-animal multispecies armies to armies of one species versus another; from fighting in animal civilizations to uplifted animal soldiers fighting in human wars. 

The emphasis should be on military action, not politics; but as Clausewitz defined war as “the continuation of politics by other means”, a story may be heavily political as long as military action is at least threatened.

Despite the title, which is a Shakespeare reference (to Julius Caesar), we want stories with a variety of anthropomorphic animals; not just dogs.

Authors who want to contribute are urged to check with me (Fred Patten) first to make sure that story ideas are not too close to others already approved. 

Payment:  ˝˘ per word upon publication and a contributor’s copy of The Dogs of War, a $19.95 anthology.  Contributors may buy additional copies at a 30% discount.

Send submissions to fredpatten@earthlink.net.

Fred

Huskyteer

• FWG Members
  • Arctic Ace
    • View Profile
Re: The Dogs of War
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 05:16:07 AM »
OMG OMG OMG!!!

*ahem*

Sounds great, Fred!
Watch out where the huskies go: Bibliography | SoFurry | FurAffinity | Weasyl | Goodreads

Billy Leigh

• Future Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 06:30:06 AM »
This has certainly grabbed my attention.

Greyflank

• FWG Members
  • Typing Horse
    • View Profile
    • The Fiction Press Site for Me (There's also a Fanfiction.net site)
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 08:21:14 AM »
Hmmm... I wonder if I can slip "war" into the story I am writing...?

Great to hear Fred!
BLURRING THE LINE BETWEEN GIFTED AND TWISTED EVERY DAY.

Vote for THE GOAT: BUILDING THE PERFECT VICTIM https://www.undergroundbookreviews.org/this-weeks-pitch-perfect-pick-12/?mc_cid=38b8690f70&mc_eid=c717306f86

Dwale

• Tactical Nuclear Sno-Cone
  • Global Moderator
  • The blue raccoon has a bullet-proof balloon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 08:57:15 AM »
Hmm. I actually have something for this.
"Severance
And the birds of leaving call to us
Yet here we stand
Endowed with a fear of flight

Overland
The winds of change consume this land
While we remain in the shadow of summers now past

When all the leaves have fallen
And turned to dust
Will we remain entrenched within our ways?

Indifference,
The plague that moves throughout the land
Omen-signs
In the shapes of things to come"

"Severance" - Dead Can Dance

Munchkin

• Token Munchkin Cat
  • FWG Members
  • Breather of life into the ShoutBox since 2014.
    • View Profile
    • GoodReads
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 09:11:47 AM »
I'll need to dig up an old idea journal, but I think this might be just the thing to get me back into writing o.o We'll see if time allows.
@MunchkinRambles
~*~
Now accepting submissions!
Civilized Beasts 2016
~*~
Fragments of Life's Heart
~*~
Where to find some of my work:
Civilized Beasts 2015 ~ ROAR 6 ~ Will of the Alpha 3

Bruno Schafer

• FWG Members
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 01:09:46 PM »
I have been writing something recently that should work for this. :)

Arara

• FWG Members
    • View Profile
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2016, 11:39:08 AM »
I think I have a story already done that will work for this!

gallenw

• Future Members
    • View Profile
    • Fursuit Photos & Music on FA
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2016, 02:20:45 PM »
I think I have an idea for this!

Vance

• Future Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2016, 12:47:16 AM »
What about a story about a soldier returning home?

Or am I missing the point entirely?

Killick

• Future Members
    • View Profile
    • Furballd Podcast
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2016, 08:29:07 PM »
I have an idea for this! :o  This going to be tricky though for me, I know nothing about the military.  To the Library!

Fred Patten

• FWG Members
    • View Profile
    • Fred Patten News
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2016, 11:42:15 AM »
Vance: No, you're not missing the point, or not necessarily.  A story about a soldier returning home, glad to get out of the military, probably would miss the point.  A story about a soldier getting out due to being traumatised by the horrors of war would be to the point.  Or maybe it's a cynical comedy; he's been given a discharge because he's such a foulup, but he doesn't realise it.  Or maybe it's a more anthropomorphic story; he's a prey animal, part of a failed experiment to make prey animals into fighting soldiers.  It's up to the writer as to how to handle it.
Fred

LemurKat

• Future Members
  • Author, illustrator. Reader, dreamer.
    • View Profile
    • Art of LemurKat
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2016, 02:43:58 PM »
Hmmm, I've got a "deleted scene" from one of my novel draft-in-progress that *might* be suitable, with a bit of polishing. It's not so much about military tactics, more about the horror of war for the newly recruited, who are unprepared for what war actually means. I'll have a look through it and see if it works well enough out of the context of the novel. The only problem is, I might decide to include a part of it in the actual final draft, although that seems unlikely since it does involve peripheral characters... And if it got selected, I could certainly work the story without it!

Greyflank

• FWG Members
  • Typing Horse
    • View Profile
    • The Fiction Press Site for Me (There's also a Fanfiction.net site)
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2016, 07:20:49 AM »
Hmmm, I've got a "deleted scene" from one of my novel draft-in-progress that *might* be suitable, with a bit of polishing. It's not so much about military tactics, more about the horror of war for the newly recruited, who are unprepared for what war actually means. I'll have a look through it and see if it works well enough out of the context of the novel. The only problem is, I might decide to include a part of it in the actual final draft, although that seems unlikely since it does involve peripheral characters... And if it got selected, I could certainly work the story without it!

Hello LemurKat!

That would be a happy problem to be had! And the solution is terribly easy: disclaimers.

You would not be the first author to sell off bits of work in progress and then have those same bits published in whole or in part or terribly altered into an unrecognizable form. You merely need to mention it in two places: the cover letter (...when bragging about publication credits) and the book (A small portion of this book appeared in Dogs of War as "Title" in a somewhat altered form).

Ta-dah!

Don't be afraid to cannibalize your own work.

Good luck!
-The Typing Horse
BLURRING THE LINE BETWEEN GIFTED AND TWISTED EVERY DAY.

Vote for THE GOAT: BUILDING THE PERFECT VICTIM https://www.undergroundbookreviews.org/this-weeks-pitch-perfect-pick-12/?mc_cid=38b8690f70&mc_eid=c717306f86

Huskyteer

• FWG Members
  • Arctic Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2016, 07:50:58 AM »
(A small portion of this book appeared in Dogs of War as "Title" in a somewhat altered form).

That's exactly the phrasing I've been after. Thanks!
Watch out where the huskies go: Bibliography | SoFurry | FurAffinity | Weasyl | Goodreads