Author Topic: Any Griffin/Gryphon Fans Around?  (Read 154 times)

Amarok59

• Future Members
    • View Profile
Any Griffin/Gryphon Fans Around?
« on: August 01, 2018, 12:32:34 AM »
Hello, all!  I'm Amarok59, aka Michael D. Winkle.  Not new here, but not seen in a long while.  I've had, in my spotty career, about 30 short stories and articles published professionally, including "Origins" (Gods with Fur) and "Hoodies and Horses" (Dogs of War).  After 20 years of having my book length works rejected (not even rejected really; all the agents and publishers say they have too many writers to handle as it is), I decided to go the Amazon Kindle route.

My newest effort is almost ready to upload.  I've always been interested in Griffins, but, growing up, all I ever found, pretty much, was the Gryphon and the Mock Turtle from Alice in Wonderland.  There seemed to be little about the lion-eagles even in myth and legend.  So I dedicated myself to writing fiction and digging up trivia about them.

Now I'm assembling everything in The Eyrie:  A Book of Gryphons.  I'll add more details soon on my web-page, The Fantasy World Project:  http://www.fantasyworldproject.com/index.html.

Not to mention my Amazon author page: https://www.amazon.com/Michael-Winkle/e/B079R88MNN/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_2?qid=1533097429&sr=8-2

And finally, a quote from the Introduction:

"Gryphons appear in folktales, rumors, and myths that touch upon Greek, Russian, Indian, Mongolian, and Chinese legend without belonging wholly to any culture.  Perhaps these are the merest tatters of an ancient tapestry of gryphon-tales.  Let us track down some of these half-remembered legends, and along the way we might just discover more modern manifestations of these wondrous bird-beasts."

Huskyteer

• FWG Members
  • Arctic Ace
    • View Profile
Re: Any Griffin/Gryphon Fans Around?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 04:59:48 AM »
Welcome! I absolutely loved Hoodies and Horses.
Watch out where the huskies go: Bibliography | SoFurry | FurAffinity | Weasyl | Goodreads

Amarok59

• Future Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 10:03:46 PM »
Thanks, Husky!  "Hoodies and Horses" is to be part of a larger work called "Endangered Species: Fanzine Vol. I," which I hope to finish soon.  In the meantime, "The Eyrie: A Book of Gryphons" is ready to pre-order on Amazon, with its official release set for Aug. 15:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G7H4ZTY?ref_=pe_3052080_276849420

How do you link together Peruvian petrol stations, the New Jersey Pine Barrens, the wild desert jackass of Mesopotamia, and Godzilla movies?  You'll just have to read The Eyrie and see!

Dwale

• Tactical Nuclear Sno-Cone
  • Global Moderator
  • The blue raccoon has a bullet-proof balloon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 07:14:33 PM »
Welcome. If you don't know Jess E. Owen, she's the resident gryphon enthusiast.
Cultivating sounds
For all the mothers who come near
To find out
Calling pulse bombs a response

With cotton in their ears
And goodbye kisses for the ones
In the ground
Collecting fallout from the blast

The road leads where it's led
And all the darlings cover earth with bare hands

They're blowing all the other kids away

Angels stole the show,