Author Topic: Gods With Fur  (Read 28648 times)

Fred Patten

• FWG Members
    • View Profile
    • Fred Patten News
Gods With Fur
« on: August 30, 2015, 05:58:35 PM »
FurPlanet Productions is announcing its next original short story anthology:

Gods With Fur  (subtitle:  or Feathers, Scales, …  We haven’t forgotten them.)

To be published in July 2016, at Anthrocon 2016.

Wanted:  original short stories (no reprints) featuring animal gods, preferably of 4,000 to 20,000 words.  Lesser will be accepted.  Longer … let’s discuss it.

These may be historic gods or “superbeings” such as the African Anansi (spider); the Akkadian/Babylonian Tiamat (dragon or sea serpent); the pre-Islamic Arabian Allāt (hyena) or Nasr (vulture); the Aztec Quetzalcoatl (feathered serpent) or Tezcatlipoca (jaguar); the Egyptian Anubis (jackal-headed), Bast (cat-headed), or Sekhmet (lioness-headed); the Mayan Kayab (turtle), Muwan (owl), or Zotz (bat); the North American Coyote, Nanabozo (giant rabbit), or Raven; or original creations like Michael H. Payne’s 12 Curials or Rick Griffin’s congress of Cerberus, Great Kitsune, Pete the Gryphon, and the Spirit Dragon (but don’t use another author’s copyrighted characters.  Create your own furry pantheon.).  Since this is for a furry fandom readership, stories with a single god and all other humans are discouraged; although authors are encouraged to think of imaginative exceptions such as an animal god changing humans into furries.  Some humans are acceptable, but make this a predominantly furry story.

(Many ancient religions described their gods and goddesses as alternating between human and anthropomorphic forms, or blending several forms.  Tiamat has been depicted as a human woman, a giant sea serpent, a flying dragon with either one or multiple heads, and a woman with a tail and a cow’s udder.  The Mesopotamian Pazuzu, god of disease, was usually shown as a human with snarling dog’s or cat’s fangs, scales, a predator’s foreclaws and a raptor’s hind talons, a scorpion’s tail, four large wings, and an erect penis with a snake’s head.  The four large wings have resulted in the modern theory that Pazuzu was inspired by the mosquitos that brought disease.  Zeus would appear as an animal whenever he wanted to.  For this anthology, keep the anthropomorphic form predominant, although the blend of forms could be useful.)

Imaginative combinations of gods are good:  one or more Egyptian gods versus North American gods, or all of them teaming up against a common adversary.  Or the feline gods & goddesses of several different mythologies getting together or fighting each other.  Would canine and feline gods fight like dogs and cats?  (But many people have pet dogs & cats that live peacefully together.)

Use obscure and ugly gods.  The Middle Eastern Mandaeans (who Wikipedia says are emigrating to the U.S. to escape the war in Iraq) still believe in the five lords of the underworld including Krun (anthro giant louse), Hagh (anthro giant scorpion), and Sargi (anthro giant hornet).  Non-god mythological characters are acceptable, such as the Egyptian demoness Ammut, the crocodile-lion-hippopotamus “pet” of the goddess Ma’at (she ate the souls that Ma’at judged unworthy of being admitted to the Egyptian hereafter); or the Nordic giant serpent Ouroboros who circled the world, or Hugin & Munin, Odin’s two ravens.

Authors who want to contribute are urged to check with me (Fred Patten) first to make sure that story ideas are not too close to others already approved.  We don’t want an overabundance of stories, for example, featuring the Egyptian animal-headed gods.

Deadline:  May 1st, to allow a month for requested revisions. 

Payment:  ½¢ per word upon publication and a contributor’s copy of Gods With Fur, a $19.95 anthology.  Contributors may buy additional copies at a 30% discount.

Send submissions to fredpatten@earthlink.net.

(Edited to add email address. --PT)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 04:30:27 PM by Poetigress »
Fred

James L. Steele

• FWG Members
    • View Profile
    • jameslsteele.com
Re: Gods With Fur
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 09:40:50 PM »
hmmmmmm... must come up with something Ryan Campbell and Fuzzwolf have not already done...

Ocean

• FWG Members
  • Peace n Luv
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 11:16:56 PM »
Why no single god stories? No single god who is a twelve headed hydra, each head governing a different as entity either?

NightEyes DaySpring

• FWG Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 11:34:10 PM »
This sounds interesting, and it is a topic I would like to explore.

Ricky_P

• Future Members
    • View Profile
    • Tiger Tales
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 11:37:36 PM »
Hmmm...I do have a story I wrote about a year ago that's been sitting on my hard drive, unfinished, and at least mentions an anthropomorphic god. I'll have to think about this one since I'm still new and haven't experienced the publishing process (rejected or accepted).
"The secret to doing anything is believing that you can do it." - Bob Ross

Huskyteer

• FWG Members
  • Arctic Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 04:25:44 AM »
Really interesting idea!
Watch out where the huskies go: Bibliography | SoFurry | FurAffinity | Weasyl | Goodreads

Greyflank

• FWG Members
  • Typing Horse
    • View Profile
    • The Fiction Press Site for Me (There's also a Fanfiction.net site)
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 07:28:26 AM »
A battle between the Flying Spaghetti Monster and the Invisible Pink Unicorn... hmmmm...
BLURRING THE LINE BETWEEN GIFTED AND TWISTED EVERY DAY.

COLD BLOOD: Fatal Fables, from Jaffa Press. Six stories (four previously never before published) explore sex and violence in Aesop's World. Cover by the adorable Viergatch. Coming this May.

Searska

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 09:01:09 AM »
Are you looking for legend-type stories, or can this be set in modern day? And are you looking for a particular tone, serious or humorous, etc?

Fred Patten

• FWG Members
    • View Profile
    • Fred Patten News
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2015, 01:47:36 PM »
Everything!  I'd love a mixture of legend-type stories; modern-day settings; serious and humorous.  I wrote one of the stories in my "The Furry Future" myself because nobody else submitted any humor. 

A battle between the Flying Spaghetti Monster and the Invisible Pink Unicorn...  What if the most popular imaginary animals of today's popular culture materialized everywhere as today's gods, like the computer game monsters in "Pixels"?  Pikachu!  Hello Kitty!  Cthulhu in his plush doll form!  A lolcat!  The MLP:FIM ponies!  Wonder Woman; acknowledge that there would be some modern human gods in this mixture!  China would get Pleasant Goat and Big Big Wolf; they're reportedly super-popular with Chinese kids today.  Keep the story centered on public-domain characters like the Flying Spaghetti Monster, with copyrighted others like Bugs Bunny only mentioned.

Be imaginative!
Fred

Televassi

• FWG Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2015, 02:53:48 PM »
Sounds interesting! That's a date to put down on the calendar!

Voice

• I Have Such Sights To Show You...
  • FWG Members
  • I have such sights to show you...
    • View Profile
    • My Goodreads
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2015, 05:49:06 PM »
Considering my degree in religious studies, this seems built for me.  ;D

Greyflank

• FWG Members
  • Typing Horse
    • View Profile
    • The Fiction Press Site for Me (There's also a Fanfiction.net site)
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2015, 09:12:08 PM »
Everything!  I'd love a mixture of legend-type stories; modern-day settings; serious and humorous.  I wrote one of the stories in my "The Furry Future" myself because nobody else submitted any humor. 

A battle between the Flying Spaghetti Monster and the Invisible Pink Unicorn...  What if the most popular imaginary animals of today's popular culture materialized everywhere as today's gods, like the computer game monsters in "Pixels"?  Pikachu!  Hello Kitty!  Cthulhu in his plush doll form!  A lolcat!  The MLP:FIM ponies!  Wonder Woman; acknowledge that there would be some modern human gods in this mixture!  China would get Pleasant Goat and Big Big Wolf; they're reportedly super-popular with Chinese kids today.  Keep the story centered on public-domain characters like the Flying Spaghetti Monster, with copyrighted others like Bugs Bunny only mentioned.

Be imaginative!

Who Prayed to Roger Rabbit? (free title)
BLURRING THE LINE BETWEEN GIFTED AND TWISTED EVERY DAY.

COLD BLOOD: Fatal Fables, from Jaffa Press. Six stories (four previously never before published) explore sex and violence in Aesop's World. Cover by the adorable Viergatch. Coming this May.

Rabbit

• FWG Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2015, 12:33:00 AM »

Be imaginative!

Who Prayed to Roger Rabbit? (free title)

A Lapist, perhaps?    =;)

Ryffnah

• FWG Members
    • View Profile
    • website
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2015, 01:16:05 AM »
Not to poach submissions... BUT...

The deadline for ROAR 7 is safely before the deadline for this, and gods do sound rather... LEGENDARY.

Bahumat

• FWG Members
    • View Profile
    • Rochefort Writes
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2015, 03:50:26 AM »
I don't know if your submission is considering reprints or soliciting for them, but uh, if I can suggest some HELLA GREAT stories that would fit fabulously into an anthology with this theme:

"The Horrid Glory of Its Wings" by Elizabeth Bear. I believe last published by Tor on their website, here: http://www.tor.com/2009/12/08/the-horrid-glory-of-its-wings/

"Jackalope Wives" by Ursula Vernon. Last published by Apex magazine in January of 2014: http://www.apex-magazine.com/jackalope-wives/ (This would also fit extraordinarily well into ROAR #7...)

---

Meanwhile, I think I'm calling Ouroboros.